1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double Take

Discussion in 'Quail' started by troseblad, Sep 15, 2011.

1. troseblad

troseblad Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Bartlett, TX
    I have now had three successful hatches, so I guess I am officially an addict. Yet, it still scares me when I see a chick sprawled out on its side. They always pop right up when I approach, but I just haven't gotten used to it. Anybody else still doing double-takes?

2. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I still do double takes and it still makes my heart stop every time. [​IMG] I call it the "rubber chicken impression."

You'd think we'd all learn by now!

3. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Going on 5 years now, and I still thump the brooder from time to time.

4. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    haha as stated before just remember that your birds are content when you see them sprawled out. so your doing something right! [​IMG] when the little ones are calm and content enough to lay like a dog.

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:They're not after we thump the brooder because they gave us a heart attack. [​IMG]

One of ours did that recently, When your heart skips a beat [​IMG] it's hard to remember they're content. It got a good scolding. [​IMG]

6. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Mine have always grown out of it. I just think they are stretching out after being cramped in that shell for so long!

But JJ said that his still lay out as adults.

That would seriously make my heart stop if I saw that. That bird would get grabbed and I would give it a good, stern, nose to beak, talking to! [​IMG]

7. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quote:They're not after we thump the brooder because they gave us a heart attack. [​IMG]

One of ours did that recently, When your heart skips a beat [​IMG] it's hard to remember they're content. It got a good scolding. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. gamblelover85

gamblelover85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Pahrump
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    yes mine do it as adults as well... all ages. they like to kick back and relax. the proper way [​IMG]

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I brought out some juveniles to sell to a customer and they all thumped to their side. It was a crazy sight to see! I had to poke them just to make sure [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by