Double wall coop

Molnut

Songster
Oct 1, 2015
Port Angeles, WA
Hello fellow coop builders,
I am building a coop with 6x7 pallets and sheeti g the outside with recycled pieces of plywood. Because of all the slats and their potential to harbor mites I am thinking of building an inside wall as well to cover all these slats.
One issue I can think of is that this double wall might be a great hiding place for other pests (ie rats).
There is hardware cloth under the pallets and the double wall would be resting on it. I wpuld need to find a way to cover the to of the wall too (suggestions welcome ).
What do you think?
Thanks a bunch.

Hmmm...what if you covered the pallets on the outside with hardware cloth including the top open space BEFORE sheeting the outside with plywood? Then just plywood the inside.

Hardware cloth is your friend.

Make it solid hardware cloth the entire bottom and up the sides at least 2 feet. If you have lots of climbing pests such a squirrels, you might need to encase the entire building in hardware cloth.

Yep, a pain, and super annoying... but so nice, especially if you also did the run in hardware cloth.

Thank you to all for your replies. I'll leave it as is and DE the inside.
I have 3 feet wide hardware cloth all around the perimeters 9x14. 2' on the outside, 1' inside.
I have another coop that doesn't have hardware cloth on the perimeter. I was lucky for 2 years. This year the rats found it! It's such a pain. They are such tenacious little buggers. Retrofitting this one with hardware cloth next.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom