1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Double wall metal waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Keggen, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Keggen

Keggen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    I just got an 8 gallon double wall metal water can for the girls, along with the separate heated base so the water wont freeze this winter. I am having a heck of a time using it without making a big mess all over! Is there a trick to this thing? The directions said to fill the inside first and then carry it by the inner handle, so I did that and brought it to the coop. I set it up on 2 bricks to raise it above the level of the bedding, started putting the outer piece on and water started shooting out all over! I hadn't even filled it all the way, maybe about 6 gallons full.

Then today I had to go pour some off to get the nasty stuff out of the drinking area and had a hard time keeping it locked so that the outer piece wouldn't separate from the inner one. Again, water slopping all over. Is this normal or am I just going to need practice to do it better?

Another question. I usually keep the water up on bricks to keep the bedding mess out but will now use the heated base. I use a mix of pine shavings and straw or hay in the coop. Will the heater get so hot it would become a fire hazard? Is there anything I should do to make it safer or will it be fine if bedding gets pressed up to it? I am in MN and am expecting some -20/-30 degree days so I need this thing to prevent freezing.

2. mnferalkitty

mnferalkitty Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Minnesota
    I don't use the metal waterers I am in MN too, but I don't think the heated base creates enough heat to start a fire I think it just keeps it warm enough to keep water from freezing, if your worried about it you could put the heated base on a solid patio block or bricks etc. I do not use heated anything in winter I just fill up a trough with warm water every morning, I know how much my flock drinks a day so thats the amount they get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by