Double wall waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gavinandallison, Nov 6, 2010.

1. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Do the metal double wall waterers freeze in winter? I just wondered if the inner wall would not get as cold having the outer protection.

2. FlashPointFarm

FlashPointFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    Iowa
    Not sure what a double wall waterer is. Could you post pix?

I would say they would freeze unless there is a heating element in it.

3. Backyard_Chicken_rancher

Backyard_Chicken_rancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it will still freeze it might just take a little longer to do so but water + metal + winter = frozen water

4. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

Quote:Put it on one of those flat water heater bases (or a cookie tin heater) and it will not freeze.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    It does seem to help. I have one, plus a plastic one, and have seen the metal one stay liquid when the plastic one froze.

What also works in many climates is filling a small cooler, maybe the six pack size, with water. Don't know where you live but it should stay liquid in most climates.

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Fabulous idea!! I was considering making a little Insulation-filled coozy for my waterers...perhaps I'll do that, too...Lots of different ideas for this year- one experiment I'm going to post: a Solar heater for waterers...

7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Yes they will freeze. I have 2, one 5-gallon and one 8-gallon both sit on galvanized heaters. The 8-gallon will freeze about a foot and half above the heater when it gets below zero in the coop. Water will freeze between the two pieces so you can't open it plus there will be a layer of ice inside the waterer. It's a pita to haul it into the house to thaw so I leave it there until it warms up enough to open, dump out the ice and refill.

8. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

I put a 3 foot heat tape around mine and it's working well. It has been down to 25 degrees at night so the waterwould have frozen without it. I looked at one of the pan heaters to set the waterer on and it was $37 and good down to 10 degrees. The heat tape was good to -40 and it and the transparent tape to tape it to the waterer was under $20. It has a thermostat on it but you could plug it into a thermo cube too.

9. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    Thanks all!! Had a trip to TSC today, got a $5 coupon off of feed so bought a bag of layena and cracked corn. Asked for a Thermcube but living in the south they do not stock them! So, they ordered me one, will be here by Wednesday, just the heated dog bowl to go now, then set for winter.... I think.........

10. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Quote:Great idea! I was going to make one of the cookie tin heaters, but I may just try the heat tape instead. Thanks for giving me another option!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by