1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DOUBLE WAMMY!!!! HELP!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenman101, Feb 25, 2009.

1. chickenman101

chickenman101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    hello all i have a confusing problem, i have a hen who im pretty sure has cocci. i know this by comparing her poo now to a cocci information page. i have been trying to gice her milk and powdered milk to treat her cocci. physically her condition has improved but her poo is still the same. this morning i noticed there was a long worm in here poo. can a hen have cocci and worms at the same time?? also if its cocci and she shared a house and run with 4 other chickens how come the other chickens arent showing any symptoms? could it just be worms? if i wormed all the chickens a week ago how long should i wait before i worm them again? sorry for all the ?s any help and advice will be greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!!!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    anyone?

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    She could have a big load of worms, you will have to dose all the bird with her If one has worms they all do, Wazine is a pretty good wormer you don't what to kill the worms fast' then they become toxic. wazine is safe for chickens, you put it in there water.

4. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Sounds like a roundworm. Can't see coccidia with the eye. Make sure your wormer gets roundworms.

5. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    i wormed them with wazine last week, not sure if this sick one drank it or not because thats when i noticed she was lathargic and not moving around alot. how long should i wait before i worm them again? i dont wanna worm them again too early. her poop was really yellow and runny and looked like it did o the cocci page. would worms cause the same thing?

6. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    10 days, do you have her in a warm quite place. is she eating, try warm mash (mashed egg?cooked oat meal) she wont need a very lg space.

7. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    yes i have her in my shop in 4 x 2 dog cage. she's eatting and drinking better now. how long should i keep her from the others? do u not thinks its cocci?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  8. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Is there blood in her poop?

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I think it worms, put her back when she starts acting normal and dosen't want to be in there any more [​IMG]

10. chickenman101

Feb 12, 2009
    North Carolina
    no not yet, but its really yellow and runny and its been almost a week, she was acting really lathargic but seems to be back to normal in that aspect.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by