Double yoke eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nic8407, Dec 18, 2009.

1. nic8407

nic8407 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2009
    Foothills of central CA
    Has anyone noticed what I have. I'm new to chickens, but I've noticed that at some point as each of my pullets start to lay eggs (not necessarily right away) they at least once lay an extra extra large egg that always has 2 yokes in it. It always looks like it musta hurt coming out! For my birds I think it only happens once for each one?? A curiosity I guess

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    It may happen only once to some birds but I have a hen who has layed jumbo eggs and double yolkers ever since she started two years ago!

3. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i dont know if it is gene they carry or what but this white rock (big momma) layed nothin but double yolkers till she started to molt she aint layed one since
    [​IMG]

4. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    I got a lot of double yolkers the first two months my chickens were laying but haven't gotten any since. Some were so huge... I really felt sorry for the girl who had to squeeze it out!

5. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I agree> When my pullets first started laying I got several double yokers but bave not gotten any since!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by