Double Yoker or Regular Size?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerJohn3285, Dec 7, 2010.

1. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    [​IMG]I'm sorta confused....SORTA! The egg on the right is from my 9mo old Delaware that she laid yesterday, Monday, (we got her Sunday). The one on the left was the only egg today, but its either from my RSL, BO, or Dela. The ppl we got Dela from said she laid lrg eggs the size of my RSL, but this one on the left is still bigger than the RSL. The left egg is also more closely the color Dela's egg yesterday, and lighter than my RSL eggs.

WHAT DO YALL THINK?!?!?!?!???

[​IMG]

2. dandelionheart

dandelionheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2010
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Quote:I think the one on the left's shape is funky. We haven't had any double yolkers, so I can't really say if they generally have a standard way of looking (other than bigger).

3. VA Lady

VA Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Here's a picture of the only double yolker I've got so far:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  4. FarmerJohn3285

FarmerJohn3285 County Line Farms

Nov 18, 2010
    Trenton, SC
    Thanks for the replies. It does look funky, since she isn't laying fertile eggs yet (I'm 100%) we'll crack it open maybe tom for dinner or friday breakfast, lol, and i'll post a picture of the inside! [​IMG]

What do you think about which hen it came from?? I'm thinking more than likely it was Dela's.

5. VA Lady

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Well I've seen some people mention that when they get a double size egg it's after the hen has "skipped" a day of laying. I don't think that was the case with my hen though... I think it was just another day for her. Her eggs can vary in color some too. I've seen some that are speckled and almost pink but most are like those in the photo I posted. In other words, you may never know whose egg it was!

6. Wizfisher

Wizfisher Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2010
    Central Florida
    I'd have to paint a few lines on the one on the left and make it look like a little football.

7. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    I couldn't tell you what hen it came from, but my guess is that it's a double yolker. Neither of my hens have laid one yet, but I've gotten some from the store in the past. And boy are they different from the normal size. lol Bet it was a relief for the hen to get that out!

8. TomG

TomG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Lake Oswego
    VA Lady either has very small hands or extemely large birds![​IMG]

9. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wow, now that I've stopped laughing... We've had some eggs that I thought, well, maybe it's a double, but once opened... Nope! I swear they are bigger then the exlrg you get at the store. In fact the egg carton I put them in wouldn't shut because they were so big!

My guess is, 1 yolk, just football shaped!

Well, let us know what you find out!

10. VA Lady

May 26, 2010
    Virginia
    Well our egg was definitely a double yolker - and two big ones at that! In the picture I posted the smaller egg is actually a normal size egg (at least the size of a "large" store bought egg). The big egg was really almost twice the size of a normal egg. Also, the hen who layed it is our smallest! She is the most outgoing of them all though (when free ranging she will just take off whatever direction she wants - the others have to follow her) and she is the rooster's favorite.

She is the little red bird:

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by