DOUble Yoker Question*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muscovy94, Apr 9, 2009.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey all i have a question. In double yokers, can just one yoke be fertile and the other one not or are both yokes always fertile?

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I get double yolkers all the time from my RIR hen. I have 1 for the first time in my first hatch!!! Ive eaten so many of her double yolkers and MANY times both yolks were fertile--Im hoping the one in the bator is!!

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a marans that lays doubles all the time and sometimes they are infertitle, or just one is. I do have one in the bator now that both yolks are fertitle.

They are very hard to hatched and lives. I have tried gobs of times and still have nothing yet.

4. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    I wish I was getting double yokers!!! I have another question. I hatched my silkies in the middle of last year and they haven't layed yet, but i see the rooster doing his thing with them so I know they would be fertile, but when my silkies do start to lay, will some of them be doubles? Because I think i heard somewhere that most pullets will lay double yokers??

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    oh you stumped me there-be patient and the experts on this will jmp in [​IMG]

6. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:A lot of times pullet give you doubles b/c they are getting the kinks out of the plumbing.
    I have yet to get a double yolker from a silkie hen.
    If she is letting the roo mate with her that is a sign that she is close to egg laying however it could be a matter of days or weeks still.
    IME silkies take longer to lay then other breeds.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    good to know--Im hatching silkies next month!

8. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    I put a barred rock egg in the incubator that I think may be a double yoker. I candled to see if I could tell but you can't hardly see the yoke. So I cant tell. I am hoping that it is!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  9. Chickenfeet

Chickenfeet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Cleveland, Ga.
    I have silkies and I don't think I've ever seen a double yoker from them. Their eggs are alot smaller than a regular chicken egg. [​IMG]

10. muscovy94

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    well darn! so do bantams lay double yokers?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by