Double Yoker!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henney, Feb 9, 2009.

1. henney

henney Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    My 8mth old Ameracauna has started laying huge eggs. She has been laying for quite a while but every other day it's a double yoker. What causes this? My other Ameraucana and three RIR's lay single yokers. Is this normal? I thought the winter would slow them down!

2. zigzag3337

zigzag3337 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Callahan, FL.
    I wished I was in your shoes (at least you are getting eggs).
    I have 7 Ameracauna hens that are 24 weeks old and they haven't laid the first egg. However I do have a Pearl-White Leghorn that lays everyday or every other day and she has the biggest egg from a chicken that I have ever seen. But no "Double Yoker" yet.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. henney

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    Mine started laying around 24wks. They did the squat stance just before they started laying, that's how I could tell.

4. zigzag3337

Feb 1, 2009
    Callahan, FL.
    I haven't seen my squating just yet, but I have seen them checking out the nesting boxes, so maybe this week I will start getting some eggs from them.

5. henney

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    That's good, there checking out the nest boxs. I put a fake egg, wooden, or you can use a golf ball.

6. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Double yolkers are pretty common in some young layers. Often it stops before too long, as they mature.

I have had an EE/australorp cross who laid double yolkers regularly, and I didn't get her until she was over a year old. Hers just kept right on coming, until we moved and had to re-home the whole flock. [​IMG]

7. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    my ameraucana's from the hatchery didn't start laying till 11 mo. old the ones we hatched from shipped eggs started laying at 33 weeks we usually get anywhere from 2-4 out of 7 hens a day

8. henney

Aug 9, 2008
    Reno Nevada
    At what age do they normaly stop laying double yokers?

9. zigzag3337

Feb 1, 2009
    Callahan, FL.
    Wow! I didn't think it took that long to start laying. I have 8 EEs and 1 Buff Orpington that are of the same age. I guess it will be a race to see which ones will start first...LOL

I also have 6 White Leggers that are 8-9 weeks old, I heard that they start laying at about 4-5 months old. One day I am going to have eggs out the "ying-yang"

10. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    I have two Leghorns, both have been laying for six weeks now. One of them has laid four very large, double yoker eggs.

Everytime I look at those eggs I think WOW, that had to hurt!! [​IMG]

Lil

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by