1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double yoker?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babyrnlc, Jun 6, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    One of our barred rock pullets lays a double yoker at least once a week. She has only been laying about a month or two. Is this her just working out the kinks, or should they have been worked out already? Both of my br are HUGE! They make all the other girls look like babies lol!'

We have 5 that are laying and the other day we got six eggs, but one was tiny with a softer shell (now it could have been one of the 16 wk old pullets, but their combs are not red yet) so I am wondering if it was the same chicken that does the double yokers that laid the extra little egg.

2. Frenchchickens123

Frenchchickens123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2010
    Hi, I had the same thing with a naked neck. She went through a period of laying double yolkers frequently and also payed two in one day (one being normal the other soft shell) so I would say totally normal. My hen has been laying for about 5 months now and only in the last month or so has she been laying normally ie no more double yolkers or soft shell eggs. I never had any problems bu did enjoy the double yolkers, some of which were huge eggs but very yummy :)

3. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    My little RIRs started laying about 3 months ago. The first 6 weeks or so, I got a lot of double-yolkers, about 1 per 10 eggs. The past month, I haven't gotten any. My DH sure misses those!

4. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    When mine first started laying we had a lot of doubles and even one triple. Now they have settled down and lay normally.

5. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Good, I was wondering! So by the time she stops, I will have 5 more new layers, so I may get them for a little while! [​IMG]

6. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    I have a BO hen that would lay 3-4 double yolkers a week back when she started laying. We haven't gotten any double yolkers for a while now though

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Mine also layed quite a few doubles. Last week I got an egg inside an egg and they were both double yolkers. The yolks broke when I opened the big egg.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by