1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double yolk - 1 chick hatched & isnt doing well

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jcatblum, Jun 5, 2011.

1. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    Had a frizzle chick hatch that to my surprise came from a double yolk egg. The other looks like it had started to form but didn't make it far. The chick that hatched is very weak & still attached to the shell. I wanted to take out the shell since I figured the chick that didn't make it would soon start to stink up my incubator. I had already taken the other chicks out about 6 hours before. There are 2 kther eggs but no pips that i can see Wish I could post a pic but I am on my phone!
    How long should I give the chick? It looked bad from the moment it hatched knew something was wrong before I even saw that it was a double yolk. Anything else I should do or try?

2. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i think patients is key here just wait thats all you can do really. hes gotta get stronger

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

How is it this morning?

4. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    The chick didn't make it through the night. I am really surprised he even made it through the shell. He couldn't really stand & wasn't even chirping. I did have 1 of the other eggs hatch, so now waiting for him to dry out so I can clean up the incubator. When I candles the egg he was in it appeared to dark to see through (the way those darn olive eggs are). I do remember that I thought it was so odd since the shell was the same color as th rest of the frizzles , guess that should have been a sign! My daughter was certain he wasn't going to make it last night, so at least she is taking it well today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by