Double yolk African Goose egg

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Hope Frazier, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Hope Frazier

Hope Frazier Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    How common is it for African Geese to lay double yolkers? I have a young goose that just started laying and she has laid two double yolks in two days, as her first set of eggs.

2. servpolice

servpolice Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Ok i dont think its that rare but i had one double yolker ever! from my chinese and it was massive!

3. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    but it is odd twice in a row ? what do you feed you african?!

4. Hope Frazier

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    She just started laying yesterday and again today. They are on a fermented mix of game bird starter, whole oats and cracked corn. I am going to be switching to an organic chicken feed once this mix runs out. Any thoughts? She's acting fine so far.

5. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I don't know about Africans, but my young White Danish Goose has laid at least 10 double yolkers this fall. Her eggs have weighed between 110 and 152 grams (3.9-5.3 ounces), and all eggs weighing more than 130 grams have been double yolkers. She's laid 45 eggs, and almost all of the last 20 have been 122-126 grams and single yolkers.

I'm guessing/hoping she's just young and her system has been fine-tuning the laying.

My previous goose, Keld, died from egg-binding, so I'm monitoring this one closely, almost obsessively. But Keld's eggs varied much more; they were spaced irregularly apart, some were huge (286 grams), and she laid a lot of shellless eggs. Her egg issues continued during her second laying season.

My breeder, who's been raising geese for almost 70 years, tells me that it's not uncommon for young geese to lay non-yolkers or double yolkers during their first laying season.

6. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Ok everything seems perfect but one tiny thing is the chickenfeed, which has alot of protein,which might explain doubleyolkers . if your store has waterfowl feed try and get that its much better :) Are you trying to breed your african eggs?! because double yolkers are really annoying to get if you are ,unless your have them for food which is handy to have double yolkers :)

7. The goose girl

The goose girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Denmark
    I'm pretty sure the game bird starter is the one high in protein?

Also, corn is fattening and should only be fed in very tiny amounts. A fat goose is, as far as I've been able to research, more prone to laying problems.

My goose has laid most of her eggs (including the double yolkers) just feeding on grass. Until recently her organic chicken layer feed has not interested her - because of the mild winter here there was plenty for her to forage on.

8. Hope Frazier

May 21, 2013
    Brownsville, Texas
    Our winter, although yes we are in the south, was hard on these animals. I started feeding corn just to help me extend the feed and am now phasing it out as I am going to start feeding this organic chicken feed I found. I have checked our other feed stores in our area and noone has anything specific to waterfowl and was recommended to the gamebird. Has anyone else tried feeding organic and how did your birds like it?
    I plan on being more prepared next winter and having more forage plots for them.

9. servpolice

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    if you cant find waterfowl feed its not bad but you will have a lot of big tasty eggs :) i feed my geese corm maize flakes in winter so they stay in shape and now i feed oats and barley since my local store dosent have waterfowl feed either :) i also get bread from the local bakery and give abit as a snack (to much bread gives a goose a fat it dosent need) i found out on byc :D last year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by