Double yolk, egg with no shell and a broody sexlink?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SassyKat6181, Mar 13, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    For about a week, I have had a sexlink that is always in the nest box when I go down to collect eggs. She is pleasant and stands up for me to take the eggs, but still stays in the box. This morning a girl laid her egg next to her (double wide box) and she took it and pushed it under her. Are BSL usually broody(is this broody behavior). They have only been laying about a month, and I do not have a rooster.

Also today, there was an egg without a shell. There were 7 eggs (1 double yolker) when I went down around noon, and 4 more at 4pm, including a shell-less egg. There wasn't another shell and the white/yolk were perfectly intact next to the other eggs. I've been getting 11/12 so this would have been #12. Could it be the newbie or a glitch with someone else?

Thanks

2. schellie69

schellie69 Songster

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    she might be going broody, the shell less egg is just something that happens with young layers they usually get things worked out in a few months.

3. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Broodies will definitely steal eggs. She sounds broody, and probably is if she is sleeping in the nest as well.

Time to go buy her a few chicks and slip them under her at night!

4. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Pretty sure she is still sleeping on the roost. Once I have collected the eggs, she leaves. Also, no chicks here, I just got 14 duckies. [​IMG]

5. Mak

Mak Songster

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    One of my RSLs did much the same thing a few weeks back. Stayed in the nest box for most of the day, and she was definitely grouchy when I went to collect the eggs. I thought she was going broody on me, too. But she eventually gave up, and we saw her on the coop camera go back up to the roosts at night. I don't know- sex links aren't supposed to be broody prone, but you never know.

6. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I would agree she may be going broody only because of the "egg rolling under her". But if she is ruffling up, screaming, not getting off the nest, defecating huge poos when she is off, and clucks off of the nest all ruffled. Then you have a for sure broody. Cause I have a bunch and they all have that clucky behavior, in different stages. One like your sex-link. I also have heard of broody Sex-links. She sounds like she is on her way...

I have had hens that lay double yolkers and shell-less eggs. The double yolkers are often in spurts and usually younger ones will lay them. But I have an EE that will lay one after every molt. I have had hens of various ages lay those shell-less eggs. I believe it is just them getting used to the laying cycle and an indicator that I need to get more oyster shell. I use crushed oyster shell that I get when we eat oysters and other mollusks. I do buy it in the store too but I like to recycle. It is a good way to go green. But I do not have a grinder. I have to hammer the bloody things. But it is a good workout.

7. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have broken a few broodies simply by taking them off the nest and prodding them til they started eating. Had to do it several times but eventually it worked.

8. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Songster

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    She doesn't get mad and usually hops out about an hour after I take the eggs, she's also not mean to the other girls when they get in the box. Maybe it's a phase.....maybe she's the one I've been calling "dinner" for not laying an egg.....maybe she's having to much fun sitting on everyone elses eggs that she doesn't want to lay her own....[​IMG]

They have a bowl of grit, oyster shell and their own shells that I mix up available to them all the time. It is right next to their feed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: