1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DOUBLE YOLK EGGS

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PARKBOY, Nov 5, 2008.

1. PARKBOY

PARKBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    LEBANON, KY
    I was wondering if there is one breed of chicken that lays double yolk eggs more than others? The reason I ask is a buddy of mines droped by 2 doz eggs and told me these were double yolked eggs. I thought he was full of it but boiled six of them and sure enough all six were double yolked. He doesnt know what kind of chicken layed them since he got them from someone else . Anyone have any idea?

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

any chickens can lay a double egg It really doesn't depend on the breed. But there are a few that are more likely to lay double yolks. The heavy breeds and Commercial breeds. Sometimes older hens will lay them also.

3. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    i would also want to know a specific breed. Where i live i could sell them as 1 egg omeletsfor three times the cost! [​IMG]

4. PARKBOY

Feb 3, 2008
    LEBANON, KY
    Im thinking that they may have come from one of the tyson farms that we have around here but they are huge and i want a steady supply of my own. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2008
  5. PARKBOY

Feb 3, 2008
    LEBANON, KY
    Quote:Thank you for your help. I have found out that the eggs came from cobb chickens and i have now acquired some from the source. To bad there only 2 weeks old so now i have to wait to get my own double yolkers. (POUTING)

6. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Hmm...

Interesting. Those are some bad breeder birds if the females are laying double yolk eggs. The Cobb birds are bred for meat chicks...if they can't hatch the meat chicks...what's the point of having them?

7. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    my rir's laid a double yolk almost twice a week when they started but I dont think Ive had one in a couple weeks.

8. tony30536

tony30536 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Ellijay Ga.
    if thay came from a egg farm it would be easy to get a few doz. of them keep in mind that the growers around hear have 2 to 4 hen houses that are 40'x500' and thats a lot of eggs a day

9. PARKBOY

Feb 3, 2008
    LEBANON, KY
    Quote:Exactly!!! Everyone of them arent double yolk they candle the eggs and take out the double yolks. Besides if they werent any good at laying how would they get more birds to raise?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    My 2 white leghorns (bred as production birds) laid double yolkers a lot. They were excellent layers before the darned neighbor's dog killed them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by