Double Yolk Eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gobbler, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Gobbler

Gobbler New Egg

Dec 21, 2007
    Near Topeka, KS
    We have about 33 chickens of various breeds that started laying (finally) on Jan 1st. We are up to 19 eggs on some days. We seem to get quite a few eggs that have double yolks, even some of the really small ones. While I remember when I was a kid, my Grandfather loved to get them (2X yolks) I was wondering if some breeds are more prone to them or will they "grow" out of it. Just curious.

GOBBLE, GOBBLE

2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    A lot of your production birds will lay double yolkers for a few weeks, when they first start laying. RIR, Barred Rocks....the ones you buy from hatcheries.

3. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
    I was told by the owner of Dixiebirds.com that the Ameraucana pullet he gave me for free should lay plenty of double-yolked blue-green eggs. She still has to age about seven weeks before laying age however, so I can't verify this info until then.

4. SillyChick

SillyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2007
    Good for you! [​IMG] My favorite part of an egg is the yolk! I wish my RIR's would give me a double-yolk........ Glad to hear that they are laying! Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by