1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double yolk eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shmccarthy, Apr 4, 2013.

1. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    Lets see pictures of any double yolk eggs you got! I got my first one today.
    [​IMG]

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    wow! thats a huge egg! Did you already crack it open? It could have more than one yolk!

3. SSAcres

SSAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

4. slyfoxy84

slyfoxy84 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2013
    Lancashire, England, UK
    [​IMG]

Our first double yorker! :)

5. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    I cracked mine open today and the yolks were conjoined. I found it pretty interesting

1 person likes this.
  6. If your chickens are just starting to lay eggs, then a double yolker is pretty common every now and then. but, if they aren't new layers or if this continues for a while, then that means your chickens are eating[​IMG][​IMG] TOO MUCH. This is very unhealthy for the chicken, and can kill them, so if this continues start feeding them less. don't starve them, just put them on a diet.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. yep. It might even be a triple yolker, which is not cool. The world record for the most yolks in an egg are 9 YOLKS!!!!!

8. shmccarthy

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    That's a good idea, they're a year old but I'll cut back on their food a bit.

9. ok that's a good idea. some of my chickens were laying double yolkers at first but we cut back a little on their food and it stopped. They are 11 months old now and no more double yolkers yet!![​IMG] How many chickens do you have? I have 4 chickens and give them 5-6 cups of food per day. I feed them in the morning and in the late afternoon or evening. you might want to base how often you feed them and what you feed them. I just use standard pullet feed with all the protein and nutrients a healthy pullet needs. see if you can find an article or forum about different foods and how much of it you should give them daily. I know they're somewhere on BYC.[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  10. SSAcres

SSAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's some of our jumbo sized eggs. Double and triple yolkers.

Our first egg, a month ago yesterday. Double yolk

[​IMG]

Another double.
    [​IMG]

Triple yolker
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One I got this morning. Pretty sure it's a triple. It had been awhile since we'd gotten a big one so I compared w/ a normal sized egg I also got this morning. The color seems to vary from pink to brown and all shades in between. This egg looks even bigger than the triple above. Hmmm. Our pullets are 6 1/2 months old.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by