double yolk, one looks like a marble

Gigi1147

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 27, 2013
Napa, CA
Hi,

Yesterday one of our hens laid a largish egg that had a normal yolk plus something else that looked and felt like a rubbery, slippery marble. The marblish "yolk" appeared to be off-white and was covered with a thick layer of foggy, whiter, egg white...it looked like partially cooked egg white. This marbly thing was half the size of the other yolk, felt very hard and rubbery.

It freaked me out and I dropped the marble thing in the sink, then tried to break it open. With some effort (and slipping!), it broke open and orangish yolk came out. Would this be one of those eggs that traveled backwards after getting its shell, then joined up with another?

Anything to worry about? Sorry I didn't take a pic, but not only was I was freaked out, but someone was watching me make the frittata and I didn't want to freak them out!

I can't even remember if the the shell's color was blue or brown, so not sure if the egg was from the Americauna or one of the Sexlinks, but I think the latter?

OH...the temp has been below freezing here, is it possible half of the egg froze before we collected it?

Anyway, I'd be grateful for any input. My biggest concern is that it could've been something like a lost ovary or other sign of illness? The chickens are fairly new at egg laying...they're around 5 1/2 months old and have been laying for almost a month, though not being privy to which ones are laying, it's possible this egg is from a more recent layer...one of the Sexlinks is still on the smallish size.

Thanks !

p.s. I did look through the odd eggs section's descriptions/pics but nothing fits this description

Last edited:
It does sound like you had an egg yolk that got part way down the system then stalled and another came up behind it and you wound up with your weird double egg. Other thing is maybe a tiny lash egg that got stuck in another egg?

It does sound like you had an egg yolk that got part way down the system then stalled and another came up behind it and you wound up with your weird double egg. Other thing is maybe a tiny lash egg that got stuck in another egg?
Thanks for your reply. I'll go with that. :)))

Back
Top Bottom