1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Double Yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bush84, Feb 18, 2017.

1. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    So last fall I raised some buff orp/cream legbar mutts. They are just starting to lay between end of January to now. We have had an extraordinary amount of double yolk eggs. Of the green eggs we have been gathering about 25% have been double yoke. I have never even had one in two years of raising chickens. My wife thinks it's one chicken laying the double yolk eggs. Any insight on this?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Double yolks are very common in new layers -- it's part of their reproductive system getting the hang of what it's supposed to do which often involves releasing two yolks at a time vs. the more standard one. It may be one bird or it may be more than one - the only way you would really know for sure would be to stake out the nest boxes for a few days and see who is leaving what egg - but as long as the birds are happy and healthy there is no reason to worry about it at this point and it will likely regulate in the next weeks/months

3. Bush84

Bush84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2015
    Kensington, mn
    Ya I wasn't terribly worried about it. More curious than anything as I hadn't seen that before. My wife enjoys it as she eats two eggs for breakfast and she just has to use one lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by