Double Yolk

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Ernie G, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Ernie G

Ernie G Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    A friend of mine says White Leghorns Lay double yolks, but only for a period of their laying life. Does anyone have any info or opinions on this?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Any breed of chicken can lay a double yolked eggs. They occur when the hens ovary releases 2+ yolks at the same time, it is a glitch in the reproductive system / levels of hormones in the hen. It is fairly common in young pullets just starting to lay (which is what your friend might have meant) and older hens coming back into lay after molting etc, but can happen at any time. They do think that it is genetic to some extent since some strains do lay more double+ yolkers than others. The hatchery white leghorns I've had actually do not lay many double eggs at all, my Red Sex Links and hatchery Easter Eggers have laid more. http://www.extension.org/pages/65372/avian-reproductive-systemfemale#.UqJ6kyfpxEM

3. This is not a good section of the forum to post this topic, so you may get more replies, in Chicken's Behavior and Egg Laying.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I have a Black Australorp hen that when she first went into lay, constantly laid double yolked eggs. She did this for nearly 6 months and at one point I got worried about her. Eventually her system leveled out and she began laying eggs with only one yolk in them. However this bird went on to lay an egg almost every day for the first two years of her life. She only missed about 4 days on her first year of laying. She is about to turn 3 years old and still lays at least 5 eggs a week. I am wondering if she will ever run out of yolks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by