Double Yolker Today

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ParadiseChickens, Oct 2, 2011.

1. ParadiseChickens

ParadiseChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    My hens have only been laying about a month. I have 8 altogether, hatched the first week of March and only 4 of them have begun to lay. And by golly, I got a double yolker. I am a first time chicken owner and I assume that is a good thing. Can you educate me more on it, like is that unusual to be laying double yolks early like that, is it painful or even worse dangerous?
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  2. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    Early on they will lay double yokers while their egg making system gets on track. I had one girl lay 3 double yolkers 3 days in a row.

ETA: I don't know if it is painful but it isn't dangerous again just their little bodies figuring things out.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2011
  3. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    I am getting a double yolker pullet egg every-other day. It comes from a dom. pullet. My husband calls here the "funny chicken" (double joker) [​IMG] .

It happens with pullets sometimes.
  4. pipsmom

pipsmom Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    I got one today too! My BA has only been laying for a week or so and this egg was only a tiny bit bigger than her other ones. Still on the small side. I was surprised when I cracked it open for breakfast this morning and there were two small yolks in it. [​IMG]
  5. Jamchick31

Jamchick31 New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    I also picked up an extra large egg last week and was wondering the same thing if its was painful. I have never seen one so big from keeping chickens from 2008. I suspected it was a double yolker and it sure was, I just had it for breakfast.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by