Double yolkers! How fun!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DanyyChicken, Sep 20, 2011.

1. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Two of our birds starting laying the week of 8/29/2011. Now they have moved up to providing us with double yolkers! Yippee! How fun and Yummy too![​IMG] We've gotten three so far. Pictures of the two layers a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure if Amberlinks are known for double yolkers but I know Golden Comets are! We are now waiting for the EE's and the BR to come on board.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Hmmm! Who laid these eggs I know I didn't!!!!
    [​IMG]

2. McKenley5

McKenley5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    I love your pictures! Thanks for sharing [​IMG]

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    handprint chickens on your wall, how cool is that..... great idea!

4. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Great pics, I also love double yolkers. I know they are technically a misfire, but I do a little dance at the stovetop when my breakfast is a double yolker!

5. misidawnrn

misidawnrn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    My bet is the red chicken. The white one probably lays white eggs (at least my Red Star lays brown and White Leghorn lays white) One of my white chickens lays double yolkers a lot...poor chicken. Her very first egg was a double yolker.

6. DanyyChicken

DanyyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southern NH
    Actually my only white chicken is an Amberlink and they do lay brown eggs. If your ever looking for a white chicken that lays brown eggs that would be it. I have to admit she is not totally white thou more of a winter white color with some brownish flecks across her back. She is pretty and rather large and known for high production.
    Thanks for the comments on the hand chickens. It just came to me one day as we all remember making turkeys from our hands as children. I modified it a bit to do the chicks... Thought it would be fun to do as a family. We each used a hand to make one. My kids are 5 and 2 and thought we could reminisce about it in a couple years from now.[​IMG]

7. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:You're right that a double tolker is "technically a misfire" but some girls have a greater tendency to lay doubles. The Amish breed hens that always lay doubles! It would be cool too get some of their chicks!!

I have two girls that just started laying. My Rhodie's (named Chico) second egg was a double. All singles since then but that's okay.

8. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:I read that earlobe colour indicates egg colour...

"34. How do you know what color shell the eggs will have?

The earlobes of the chicken dictate the color of the shell (white ear lobes = white eggs; red earlobes = brown eggs)."

(Excerpt from here: http://urbanext.illinois.edu/eggs/res32-qa.html)

By
    the pics above, it looks like both those girls would lay brown eggs.​

9. kab

kab Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Oh my! I hope I get to do a dance or two out of my flock over some double yolks!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. annep

annep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    My children loved the double yolkers...When we come across a huge egg, they all have hopes, but we haven't had one in some time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by