Double Yolkers- Should I attempt to hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Dec 28, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Just as the subject says. I bought 2 dozen Golden Comet hatching eggs today, as well as a dozen RIR I was going to offer for sale. The RIR batch has 2 eggs that are obvious double yolkers (huge and heavy). I've seen sucess with hatching doubles on here, and i've seen even MORE non-sucessful hatches. I'm considering taking atleast one of the double yolkers and attempting to hatch it myself and giving someone a suprise (well they'll know about it so it wont be a suprise lol) golden comet egg or two.

SO! Should I try it? If so, what are the special precautions I should take during the end of the hatching? When should I assist (since it seems to me that you almost need to atleast help some). I've assisted many hatches before but never a double yolker.

If I do it, I want to attempt to do it the way it HAS worked for others so any information you can give me would be wonderful! [​IMG] The breeder I'm purchasing and distributing them from gets many double yolkers from her RIRs.

*the two in the middle*
    [​IMG]

Niki

2. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    The double yolker on the right I just put in the bator! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Good luck. Keep us updated... Remember,you'll have to help at least one of them get out if it's to be a success.

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Yeppers, it's going to be stressful at that point but im up for it. [​IMG] Would be cute to have twins.

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Good luck Niki! I have no doubt that you can do it. Will cross my fingers for ya!!

6. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    Good luck on your twins! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    good luck!..i'd try to hatch ALL the double yolkers...ya never know...sending you my best wishes!...[​IMG].....[​IMG]<<praying to the hatching gods!....

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]

thanks guys, the one double yolker is going to be sent out to another BYCer, so it's just one im going to try this time. Any future doubles I'll put my greedy paws on and im sure i'll try to hatch them as well. [​IMG] 21 days can't get here fast enough!

9. bullrider

bullrider Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Utah
    Yes you should try it, what do you have to lose besides dont you want to be the few that have hatched them good luck !! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:thanks and you're right! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by