Double yolkers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by crj, Jul 26, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I don't know if this is normal or if anyone else has a duck like this, but, I have an Indian Runner duck (F&W) that lays nothing but double yolk eggs. The egg isn't super large but it is larger then the other eggs. At first I thought it was a small pekin egg but when I cracked them open that was not the case. Does this happen often? The duck is not even a year old.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I haven't had this happen with my runners but I have with one of my chickens, on occassion. Its obvious because of the size. I know in chickens it isn't a big deal so I wouldn't think that it would be in ducks. As I was told when I asked this about my chicken, its an extra surprise for your skillet.

3. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    It is strange. I really thought I had a pekin that was going to be a girl and thought maybe she had started laying. Not the case, turns out both pekins are males [​IMG] I didn't figure it out until I cracked open the eggs. Every single egg is a double yolk egg. I have 4 female runners and I find it weird that one has twins everyday.

4. The Duck ABC's

The Duck ABC's Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Young ducks quite often lay double yolkers. One thing that pushed double yolkers is the protein content in their diet. Keep their protein intake at 16% or even go down to 13% for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by