Double yolkers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bekabat, Mar 22, 2015.

1. bekabat

bekabat Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2014
    My hens started laying a few weeks ago and we're now getting 4 or 5 eggs a day (with more hens to mature yet). Although they're still small eggs (around 45 grams), without fail we'll get a double yolker each week (the last one weighed 77 grams). Is it common for chooks to lay double yolkers so regularly? Or is it maybe because they are skipping a day of laying?

2. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    It's pretty common glitch in new layers, especially production breeds. I usually get them after a skipped day as well.

3. WildfireSmitty

WildfireSmitty Chillin' With My Peeps

I love double yolkers. Would be cool if there was a double yolker chicken breed out there.

This is my biggest one yet. It's too bad they were not more common, but do seem like they are a bit hard on the hens when laying them.

[​IMG]

4. JoshnAmiee

JoshnAmiee Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Tacoma, WA
    I have always thought about incubating a double yolker to see if ya get twins, but by the time I got our incubator, they stopped with double yolkers :'(

1 person likes this.
  5. WildfireSmitty

Twins! haha, that would be awesome![​IMG]

6. JoshnAmiee

Mar 10, 2014
    Tacoma, WA
    After further research, here on BYC & abroad, it seems very difficult if not impossible for them to hatch without assistance... And even then they had bad luck. I still want to try though

7. WildfireSmitty

[​IMG]

Looks like I am going to get 2 chances at incubating double yolkers.
    Just found these 2 monsters in the coop today.

8. JoshnAmiee

Mar 10, 2014
    Tacoma, WA
    Outstanding! Keep us posted

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by