Double Yolks- A Forever Thing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ninejw, Oct 21, 2009.

1. ninejw

ninejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    ct ri border
    I have a hen that is laying extra large brown double yolk eggs. I believe it is my australorp they just started laying this past months but it could be an orp or something. My question is will she lay double yolks forever?

2. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I don't think so. I know it is very common when they first start laying. I have one possilby two that lay double yolkers. They just started laying a month or so ago.

3. vnploveschickens

vnploveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think so. My Ameracauna layed double yolkers when she first started laying. She no longer lays them. But I did take pictures.

This is Cinnamon:

[​IMG]

Her double yolker:

[​IMG]

4. countryboy1

countryboy1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2009
    Waterloo Illinois
    Yeah The other day i got a big double yoker but i was told that only happens on young chickens!!

5. twistedpickle

twistedpickle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    northfield
    I to get them from time to time. not a forever thing. I have had a triple yolker once

6. ninejw

ninejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    ct ri border
    Good pic of the double yolks I should take some! I'm almost sorry that she won't continue to lay them but I wouldn't be able to hatch eggs from her then. Wow, a triple yolker! lol I can't wait for my easter eggers to start laying next [​IMG]

7. cnj-tx50

cnj-tx50 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    North of Dallas, TX
    Just wish mine would lay!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by