Double Yolks for us

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anythingbutsandy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. anythingbutsandy

anythingbutsandy Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Kyle, Texas
    We got our first egg a couple of weeks ago and ate it immediately. It was small and delicious and had 1 yolk. Since then it's taken a while for the girls to get going. Got a couple of soft shelled ones that we had to toss. Then they started 1 at a time. We're up to 2-3 a day now and I think it's only about 4 of the 8 that are laying them (the other 4 girl's combs aren't bright red yet and it seems like I read somewhere that they stay pale until they start laying? or did I make that up?) Anyway we've been saving the eggs so we the 3 of us could have a good breakfast. Well this morning I got out 6 of our fresh eggs for some scrambled eggs. The first one was long and skinny and had two yolks (which I kind of suspected because of its shape). I've always heard about double yolks but it was the first time for me to actually witness it. So I cracked the next one (which was normal shape and size) and it, too, had 2 yolks. And so did the next one, and the next one, and the next one. The last one only had one yolk. So 5 out of 6 had double yolks. Is this normal or do I just have some special chickens?[​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You have some special chickens!

Reallly, they do all sorts of things when they first start laying. It takes them a while to get into the swing of things.

And you are right about the comb, redder means eggs very soon.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Oh yes...I miss the days of the double yolks. [​IMG] My girls laid several those first two months or so of laying. Some luck out and still get doubles from more mature layers...

4. anythingbutsandy

anythingbutsandy Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Kyle, Texas
    Thanks for the replies! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by