Double yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by juliejohnson805, Mar 30, 2017.

1. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    One of my EE's is laying double yolked eggs. The first was large and looked like a double. The others have been kinda weird. Small and long with the yolks being marble sized. They have just been laying a couple weeks. Is this something to be concerned about? They are 5 months old and still on the smallish size.

2. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    I wouldn't worry about it. Usually this sort of thing is just a result of hereditary genes.

3. juliejohnson805

juliejohnson805 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2016
    Central Alabama
    So should she continue to lay these double yolked ones?

4. KingOfTheCoop02

KingOfTheCoop02 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2017
    Ireland
    She may or may not. This might just be a temporary thing with her being a new layer. Possibly she may continue or lay normal eggs some days and odd ones others. Sorry for not being able to give a straight answer!

5. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    I got 5 EEs, 2-3 had layed double to triple yolks (dinosaurian eggs) the first 2 months of laying after a few months they were laying regular size eggs. Now couple of my leghorns and Wyandottes had also done this when they were younger layers, sometime you get marble size eggs, sometime humungous, they get the hang of it afterwards.

6. BBB Becky

BBB Becky Out Of The Brooder

Nov 15, 2016
    Georgetown, MA
    My Golden Comet, she is six month's old, laid a triple yolk. She was egg bound last weekend and finally laid a huge egg (the triple yolk) and one egg without a shell at the same time. This took two days of steam, warm baths and lots of help to get her through this period.

This is also the second egg without a shell (just in the membrane). I had added calcium and more greens to her diet. Any ideas on how to care for her to hopefully avoid these adventures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by