Double yolks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SethJ, Feb 25, 2009.

1. SethJ

SethJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Louisiana
    One of my production red's has layed Jumbo eggs with double yolks in the egg,...9 days in a row so far!

I got her with 3 other pullets,..but I suspect she's an older bird. The other 3 are laying some small eggs,.....but this big ol bird is like a jackpot![​IMG]

They're all on straight laying pellets %16,...and some oyster shell. Coop kept,....don't free range.

Just wondering if this will continue? Will all of her eggs be like this???

2. trinity

trinity Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Amarillo Texas
    hen that lays a golden egg almost huh!![​IMG]

I had one that use to lay a double yok but not everyday.thats cool .my son like to boil them because when you do some times when you peel them the yok looks like a buttox lol. yeah leave it to a 13 year old to figure that out.Anways im not sure if it will stay mine woudl do one about once a week .so i would love to hear other peoples ansers.

3. SethJ

SethJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Louisiana
    yea,..she was given to me with 3 other pullets. They were supposed to ALL be pullets,..but I think she's older than the others because her eggs are huge,..and like I say,....everyday when I get home,..I go out there,....and sure enough,..it's been nine days in a row now,....she has laid consistently every day,..and a big double yolk. the 3 others lay mostly every day,..sometimes one or another will skip a day,...and their eggs are much smaller. I was wondering if it's just an anomaly,.....but it sure is cool![​IMG]

4. glassparman

glassparman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2008
    Mojave, CA
    Just trying to learn here; isn't a double yolk an improperly produced egg?

I was always told that the egg production was like an assembly line. The yolk was produced and then moved down the line to get the white and then moved further down the line to get the shell and so on.

So if this is true, what would cause a hens assembly line to keep getting backed up so that two yolks gathered for one white and shell?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

5. Southern Chickens

Southern Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    NorthWest Florida
    I have a hen laying double yolkers. I get about 1 every week! Other than that she gives me regular size ones. I felt so bad for her, the first one was covered in blood 'cause it was so big! [​IMG] Poor girl! She gives me one DY every week!

My question is, what happens if you put it in the bator?
    Two chicks, one BIG chick, one chick deformed , like 2 heads or 4 wings? I was just curious. Please let me know if anyone has hatched one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2009
  6. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    Hi,
    There is a video on YouTube where a lady is assisting a set of twin chicks to hatch from a double-yolked egg. It is really interesting. You might want to check it out. I can't remember the exact title but I think you could find it by just searching: double-yolk egg or something like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by