Double yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by streetglide, Dec 16, 2010.

1. streetglide

streetglide Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2010
    Just curious, what causes doubles? Gabby (Because she is!) was my first girl to lay. Friday after Thanksgiving. Her eggs have gotten progressively larger and are almost always double yolks, what causes this?
    I've got almost everyone on line now! There's 18 girls and I've been getting about a dozen a day.

2. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:That's not uncommon for new layers. Sometimes it takes a little while for them to get their egg-making machinery in smooth working order. Not to worry, they'll normalize soon.
    Congratulations on your new egg factory!

3. Jajika

Jajika Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2007
    Northern California
    Agree with the above response.

All kinds of silly things happen when the hen first begins to lay. Sometimes you get those little marble-sized "Wingless" eggs. Sometimes twins. Often the eggs may be on the small size for a while.

Just enjoy. Keep them safe.

Geri

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have yet to get a double yolk from this flock. I'm jealous.

5. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    We got our first one yesterday.

6. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    My austrolorpe, Henwyn, didn't lay an egg for a day and on the second day, she laid an egg so big I couldn't close the carton lid! It was a double yolker. It seems that my girls lay enormous eggs regularly. An austrolorpe, 2 wyandottes and an Ameraucana are all laying, and they all seem larger than normal.

7. streetglide

Jul 17, 2010
    Quote:My girls, all Autralorpes, have laid quite a few of the monster eggs! Gabby, the reason I asked the question about doubles in the first place is the ring leader! At least once a week she lays a "literally" double egg. Normal diameter but almost two eggs long, they are true twins, usually a double yolker is two small yolks. Doesn't seem to bother her and they are certainly conversation pieces! Several others have laid the same in the past few weeks.
    I'm new to this so to me every day is easter! In other words "It's still fun!"

8. streetglide

Jul 17, 2010
    By the way, thank you for the replies!
    Happy New Year!

9. Happycowdog

Happycowdog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2010
    Tipp City, Ohio
    I love those double-yolkers! You are very lucky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by