Double yolks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelownachickens, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Kelownachickens

Kelownachickens Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2012
    Kelowna, BC, Canada
    I have 23 black sex link hens that just started laying. They were born may 1st. I am finding a lot of double yolks...is that normal? I'm certainly not complaining! Just more curious than anything. They sure are nice hens!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I think double yolkers happens occasionally with new layers. It takes a little bit for their bodies to get everything going smoothly.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it's normal. You get all sorts of weird eggs when new layers start up. It's all part of their bodies adjusting to laying.

4. K-12 Chickens

K-12 Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Michigan
    Yep, completely normal! One of my deceased hens' first egg was a double yolker and looked like a torpedo! [​IMG]

5. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    At least one of my black sex linked is laying a lot of double yolk eggs. I'm getting 1 almost every day out of my 5-7 eggs each day. Usually the double yolk ones are gianormous but sometimes almost regular sized. I've gotten a few "surprise" double yolkers but, I can usually tell because they are just so huge!

I was kind of wondering how long this double yolk thing will typically last for, not that it really matters, just a curious question.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Depends on the hen, but I generally don't get double yolkers after they are laying for a few months.

7. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    i have found sexkinks are teh best DYers

infact i have a 18ish month old RSL that still gives me not only DYs but eggs the size of footballs and on a regular basis

laying daily i reckon i get 2-3 DYs and a jumbo egg 5-6/7 per week

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by