double yolks

nova022

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2012
I have read a couple posts where people said their hen layed double yolks until she got it right. Is laying double yolks a bad thing? I was just wondering. My chickens have not started laying yet. If it is not good to lay double yolks is there something you do to prevent it?

I've raised quite a few hens and a few of them did lay the odd double yolk egg when they first started. It's normal and as far as I could tell it didn't harm the hens in any way. Some members here even got triple yolk eggs!

I've raised quite a few hens and a few of them did lay the odd double yolk egg when they first started. It's normal and as far as I could tell it didn't harm the hens in any way. Some members here even got triple yolk eggs!
Thanks for the reply. As I said I am new to raising chickens. I have never seen a triple yolk, but some of the eggs we buy have lots of double yollks. Hopefully, I won't have to buy eggs much longer.
hmm.png

I have read a couple posts where people said their hen layed double yolks until she got it right.  Is laying double yolks a bad thing?  I was just wondering.  My chickens have not started laying yet.  If it is not good to lay double yolks is there something you do to prevent it?

there is nothing bad for the chickens but in the UK for some reason chicken farmers see it as a fault.:confused:
the family inlaws run an egg farm in norwich,UK and they have crates upon crates of packs of double yolk eggs; these are not sold the workers take them apprenetly.

there is nothing bad for the chickens but in the UK for some reason chicken farmers see it as a fault.
hu.gif

the family inlaws run an egg farm in norwich,UK and they have crates upon crates of packs of double yolk eggs; these are not sold the workers take them apprenetly.
My husband love to get an egg with a double yolk. He always get the largest eggs he can find in hopes they will be double yolks.

I have a buckeye hen that has always laid a double yolk egg. She is in her second year of laying and every egg is a double. There is nothing wrong with it but I can't use her for breeding because of it, so she is in my flock of hens that I use for producing eggs that I eat.

One of my sexlinks lays double yolks. In her 1st yr it happened a lot but now its just every now & then. I have seen posts about triple yolks but none of my crazy girls have ever pulled that one off - hahaha

I have a buckeye hen that has always laid a double yolk egg. She is in her second year of laying and every egg is a double. There is nothing wrong with it but I can't use her for breeding because of it, so she is in my flock of hens that I use for producing eggs that I eat.
I am not familiar with buckeyes. I will have to google it, but then I will want one. ; )
Do double yolked eggs not hatch successfully?

No. Double yolk eggs will rarely hatch successfully. Buckeyes were developed in Ohio during the 19th century and believed to be the only American breed that was developed by a woman.They have a pea comb and are very cold hardy. They were also used to improve Rhode Island Reds.

I remember a new member posted a video recently of an egg with 4 yolks in it. Crazy! I only know of one successful double yolk hatch. With odds that low I'll rather eat them!

Back
Top Bottom