doubleyolkers and trippel yolkers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muddstopper, Aug 15, 2010.

1. muddstopper

muddstopper Songster

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    Recently my POL BE's became layers. I seem to be getting a large number of double yolkers and yesterday got a tripple yolker. Boy, that had to hurt [​IMG]. Anyways, I am just wondering what causes a hen to lay multi yolk eggs. Is it genetics, to much protein, stress or heat related, all of the above, or something else.

2. lizzy06019

lizzy06019 Songster

Oct 26, 2009
    Connecticut
    I'm very new to chickens as well and my first flock of girls only started laying 3 weeks ago. I remember reading that double/triple yolkers are completely normal and it's just the young bird's system working all the kinks out. They just happen to release 2 or 3 yolks that cycle instead of just one and then it's enclosed in one BIG shell. I got a double yolker this morning from one of my EE who seems to lay them a couple times per week. I think they're pretty cool to get.

3. rhodered10

rhodered10 In the Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    double or triple yolkers are normal in young hens but however after about a year or so if you are still getting them it usualy means that the hen is overweight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by