Dougie crop treatment help please

Boergoatlover

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Hello

My ex battery hen has had some ongoing crop issues which we have previously touch wood managed to fix.

However the last two days her crop has filled up again this time however it feels like dough rather than a hard mass or liquid and sour. I’ve read doughy crop is a separate issue but have absolutely no idea how to treat it or what to do. Given it’s new year the vets are not open for another 2 days.

I’ve read about copper sulphate but can’t seem to find acidified copper sulphate online not sure if it’s not available in UK?

Any tips to help her over the next 48 hours till I can get to the vet would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

For a doughy crop, I would give some oil and make sure that she is drinking well, while doing some crop massage several times a day to help break up the mass. Chilled coconut oil can be cut into peckable pieces, or mineral (liquid parafin) or olive oil, can be given in a bit of cooked egg 1 tsp per day. Do you have poultry grit available, and what type of food do you give? Do your chickens have plenty of water available?

Back
Top Bottom