Dove baby, maybe?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by WisconsinAnimalHouse, Feb 7, 2012.

1. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    The white "turtledoves" I bought my son for Christmas this year, have wasted no time laying an egg. The man that I got them from said they had raised a clutch or two already, so I hope all goes well and we have a new addition by the end of the week. Should I be concerned with the fact that the pair share a large cage with another pair? The four get along pretty good, with maybe one or two tiffs that I've seen. Every one of them takes turns babysitting the egg though. Any thoughts?

2. SouthDakotan

SouthDakotan Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been in contact with Elizabeth Young of MickaCoo Rescue, who has been working with pigeons and doves for some time. She tells me you can have an aviary of several doves or one of several pigeons, but its not good to have them mixed. Apparently they prefer not to be mixed. If you want her contact, just let me know. Perhaps she can give you advise on the spacial needs of nesting pairs.

3. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    I just have one thought on this: why isn't it okay!? it happens in nature. Let nature take its course. I hate to say it, but I strongly disagree with the South Dakotan. I think you should let the birds handle it themselves. People are so worried every little thing is wrong on BYC, and it is getting old. My advice: let nature take its toll.
    Good Luck! I hate to sound rude!

4. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    SOMETHING IS WRONG IF ALL FOUR BIRDS ARE SETTING ON THE EGG A PAIR OF DOVES OR PIGEONS WILL LAY TWO EGGS . MALE SET ON THEM DUREING THE DAY FEMALE AT NIGHT.

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Depend on how large cage, if lot of room they will be fine. If to small the older birds may hurt the new babies, when they get ready to lay their 2nd nest.

6. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks for the ideas, they are still doing good except no baby yet. We will just see what happens!

7. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Even in a large aviary (12*24*8) I had problems during breeding season with pigeons and doves mixed, I'm not talking white pigeons- I'm talking Eurasian collard doves vs Russian Tumbler-mixes - there was feather picking and scalping, the doves always lost.

All the dove breeders (for magicians) separate the non bred from the breeding one there are eggs- moving the unpaired or the non-breeding pair to the flight aviary leaving the bred pair in the smaller aviary/cage.

MickaCoo has lots of pigeons and doves that need fostering...

With pictures of my set up they were willing to allow a mixed flock but the pigeons were over 8+ years old by then.

1 person likes this.
  8. SouthDakotan

SouthDakotan Chillin' With My Peeps

do what you wish. I was just recommending someone who deals with pigeons and doves and might be able to answer your question.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  9. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If the cage is large enough for them to have their own perches and their own nest box, then it's fine! Where did the mixing pigeons and doves together thing come from? The original poster has 4 doves, not a pair of doves and a pair of pigeons. I raise ringneck doves too (people tend to call them turtle doves, which isn't correct but it's a bad habit), in a loft I converted from a gazebo. I've kept pigeons with them with no problems but it depends on the birds.
    ANYWAY, back to the 4 doves situation. Mine are very friendly and all of my pairs have turned into threesomes with 2 males per hen. This of course would not happen if I had equal amount in both sexes but unfortunately right now I don't. All three birds take turns on the nest as well as feeding babies. In your case, if all 4 share a nest with 2 eggs in it, then you have 3 males and one hen. Each hen lays 2 eggs so if you end up with more than 2 in a few days, you'll be able to tell how many hens you have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by