Dove housing

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by MonkeyZero, May 20, 2011.

1. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    So
    I still havent got any doves yet, but I think I'm getting 2 pairs.
    Now my parents and I were wondering, what's the cheapest and easiest form of housing for them? They will need to stay outdoors year round( I can get a heat lamp in there for the winter).
    Any suggestions. We wanna go super cheap. I was thinking putting together a frame and just buying chicken wire. It would be 4 feet long and about 2 feet tall

2. DuranAndy

DuranAndy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Utah
    I just bought a pair of doves today and I have them sharing a 6x4 foot aviary with my quail. The're pretty spoiled, but I hope the two groups don't fight with eachother.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Currently I have pairs in raised cages I made that are 2' x 3'. I've got 5 younger birds in one of the cages but as soon as I figure out which one exactly is the female I'll be removing the extra boys [​IMG]
    You don't want to use chicken wire because anything can reach through it and grab them out. If you make your own cages at least use 1/2" hardware cloth. I did not use heat lamps on mine this past winter and it was pretty rough. Their pens were covered completely on 3 sides with only the south open.

They need a minimum of 24" x 24" per pair, but the more room you can give them the better. Mine will be getting an aviary this summer...complete with goldfish pond! [​IMG]

My current dove cage:
    [​IMG]

Side view:
    [​IMG]

Perches:
    [​IMG]

Some of the happy residents:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. TN_BIRD

TN_BIRD Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Cheap? Scrounge around for scrap wood. Probably won't be pretty, but it can work. I saw a picture of a coop made from an old dresser, a few 2x4s and some hardware cloth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by