Dove question is it male or female

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by little brown hen, Jan 7, 2011.

1. little brown hen

little brown hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    I have a ring neck dove that coo's but not bow and does the wing twitching on the perch and now has moved to the nest and does alot more cooing and wing twitching is it male or female? Or do both sexes do this.

2. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    It is probably male. But single pet doves can be confusing. If it lays an egg, you'll know!

3. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    With cooing and wing twitching, I would say male. Bowing is after the wing twitching in the ritual used for breeding, if it is a single it probably just doesnt get to the bowing part as he gets no attention for the wing flutters. My girls never wing twitch and they make a very distinct laughing noise. I have heard of gender confusion in singles as Mary stated but I think it is a male.

4. little brown hen

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    Well guess what the dove that was doing the nest cooing and twitching slept in the nest all night next morning no egg, well this afternoon one I think is female get's in the nest for awhile then leaves and an egg is in the nest now I'm confused as to which one layed it. The dove that sat all night is back in the nest setting on it. I thought female's sat on the egg's Help me understand I just hate waiting games....

5. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    could be either, its almost impossible to tell when you don't have any other doves around. I've had females that coo and bow at me and males that don't do anything. If it lays an egg you'll know.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Both males and females set on the eggs, they do it in shifts. Normally the male is on the nest during the day (from around 9 a.m. to about 5 p.m.) and the female sets them at night.

7. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG] yep male set about 8 hrs hen about 16 hrs(all night)

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    With our pair, it is the female that wing twitches, and the male bow coos. Both do sit on the eggs, though.

9. little brown hen

Mar 29, 2009
    Camp Point, Ill
    Thank You all for all your answers. I think I have 2 females maybe this spring I can find 2 males.

10. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    if you find four eggs you have two females usually they do not start sitting till the second egg is layed in about 24 to 46 hours two hens will mate but you will find four eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by