dove sounds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wendy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    i have heard either my chickens or my rooster make sounds like doves make. have you heard this from your birds?
    we don't have doves around here. i like to put out bird feed and last year we had on dove that i saw. but not this year and i have only had my rooster and chickens since early may. just wondering if anyone has noticed this, they do have some unusal behavior. my rooster jumps on my back porch when i let them free range and he crows. but if i open the back door he jumps down like "a ol' scaredy cat" on two legs with wings [​IMG]

this just started in the last week or so maybe?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  2. SHELLY

SHELLY Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    Southwest Missouri
    My roo makes a sound like cooing. He just started doing this a week or so ago. He is a barred rock and is 4 months old. Also, he has (in the same time frame) gotten "in the mood". He makes this noise between crowing and then chases the girls around. He runs up to me and flaps at my legs or pushes his body against them. I think he has hit puberty!

I think the cooing and the new behavior are related.

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG] that is funny what you put in here about puberty!
    well ours is a barred rock rooster too. he is chasing all the hens several times a day! i feel sorry for the poor ol' gals !

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by