Dove without tail feathers

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by poultrycrazy, May 3, 2011.

1. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    We had a dove that flew into our garage and after we tired it out my dad went to grab it and it pulled and out came all its tail feathers except 2. I want holding it since it landed on the ground and i took it outside and it flew away a long ways and landed in a tree . Will it be ok?

2. Luthien

Luthien New Egg

May 1, 2011
    As long as it can still fly it will be just fine. The tail feathers will grow back just like our hair does when we cut it, if it can get away from predators and find food it will be fine.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It should be fine, I did that once with an escapee of mine [​IMG] It still took me 2 or 3 days to catch the sucker and he flew just as good before the feather loss as he did after. It will take 4-6 weeks for them to fully grow back.

4. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Ok thanks i was just worried that there tail feathers were important to there flying or something

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Quote:It is important. It's harder on birds to fly without a tail, so it'll probably tire out more quickly than normal and they won't be able to evade predators as well.

6. poultrycrazy

Aug 25, 2010
    Well i ould have kept it till the feathers were grown back if it couldnt fly or it couldnt fly well, but when it flew it took off fast and for a lond ways so i will just have to hope it will be ok.

7. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Yeah they can still fly, so he should be okay. He would have freaked out in captivity anyway.

8. Lofty Dreams

Lofty Dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Minnesota
    I have pulled of the tail of one of my birds it grew back in a few weeks. It should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by