Doves for Christmas?

WisconsinAnimalHouse

Chirping
11 Years
Nov 14, 2011
My son has been wanting doves for awhile now, and I think I might get him a pair for Christmas. What is a common breed of dove that I can find in a pet store or from a breeder? Something small, perhaps diamond doves, but I was hoping for other options. Suggestions? Thanks!

I would also suggest ringneck, they are quite a bit bigger though. Still pretty easy to handle/ care for. IMO they are more attractive than diamonds and can tend to be cheaper to purchase, depending on color and where you buy them.

Does he want these for a pet or for something to look at only? Cape doves are very beautiful and fairly easy to find (around here at least), considering they are a rarer kept bird. There are many beautiful breeds and species though. Ringnecks can be quite docile. Mookee and pygmy pouters are very tame breeds that can make wonderful pets (especially if hand fed as a baby, and other breeds can be very tame when hand fed as well).

I would recommend ringnecks over diamonds because of temperament. I have always found that the ringnecks are much easier to handle and much more prone to being friendly birds. Mine even sit on my shoulder. diamond doves are slightly more flighty and not quite as prone to the more pet like qualities. Though my hand fed diamond was very friendly when compared to his parents who were parent raised.

He wants little pets, certainly. Probably not too concerned with being able to handle them, although it would be great if we could. I showed him some pics, and of course he wants white "turtledoves" as he called them. I read that ring-necks are in the turtledove family. Hope I can get lucky and find a pair before the big day! Thanks for the help.

wish you lived closer to Oregon. There's a pair of white ringneck's on CL right now for 20.00.

Back
Top Bottom