Doves for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by WisconsinAnimalHouse, Nov 14, 2011.

1. WisconsinAnimalHouse

WisconsinAnimalHouse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2011
    My son has been wanting doves for awhile now, and I think I might get him a pair for Christmas. What is a common breed of dove that I can find in a pet store or from a breeder? Something small, perhaps diamond doves, but I was hoping for other options. Suggestions? Thanks!

2. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Ringneck Doves are great little doves !

3. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I would also suggest ringneck, they are quite a bit bigger though. Still pretty easy to handle/ care for. IMO they are more attractive than diamonds and can tend to be cheaper to purchase, depending on color and where you buy them.

4. chseeads

chseeads Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Bloomington, Indiana
    Diamonds or ringnecks either one would be good birds.

I wish you were from here, I'd sell you some diamonds. LOL

5. WisconsinAnimalHouse

Nov 14, 2011
    Thanks guys, I am going to a bird fair in a few weeks, hopefully I will find something!

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Does he want these for a pet or for something to look at only? Cape doves are very beautiful and fairly easy to find (around here at least), considering they are a rarer kept bird. There are many beautiful breeds and species though. Ringnecks can be quite docile. Mookee and pygmy pouters are very tame breeds that can make wonderful pets (especially if hand fed as a baby, and other breeds can be very tame when hand fed as well).

7. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    I would recommend ringnecks over diamonds because of temperament. I have always found that the ringnecks are much easier to handle and much more prone to being friendly birds. Mine even sit on my shoulder. diamond doves are slightly more flighty and not quite as prone to the more pet like qualities. Though my hand fed diamond was very friendly when compared to his parents who were parent raised.

8. WisconsinAnimalHouse

Nov 14, 2011
    He wants little pets, certainly. Probably not too concerned with being able to handle them, although it would be great if we could. I showed him some pics, and of course he wants white "turtledoves" as he called them. I read that ring-necks are in the turtledove family. Hope I can get lucky and find a pair before the big day! Thanks for the help.

9. NYboy

NYboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    White plains

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  10. Sumatra503

Sumatra503 Kozy Orchard Farms

Sep 24, 2010
    wish you lived closer to Oregon. There's a pair of white ringneck's on CL right now for 20.00.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by