Doves, my new found love!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Bettacreek, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, I got two girls from Duck, and, I'm in LOVE with these girls! They're the most gentle animals ever. Are all doves like this or did I get extremely lucky? We got stuck in traffic for hours, they were in the car with us for about 6 hours, and they didn't put up a single fuss. They didn't care when we got home, plopped the cage on the floor for a minute and they had the cat sniffing at them. They didn't care when I picked them out and carried them around (I couldn't resist), they even let me pet them when I had them perched on my fingers. They were even fine when our one year old was "talking" to them and pestering them for hours, lol. Our son, of course, wasn't allowed to touch, but still, he was getting rowdy in the car, and they didn't care one bit. Even my husband said that he likes them (and he rarely admits it even when he does like an animal).
    Seriously, are ALL doves this amazing?

2. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    I love my Doves!! They are very sweet and patient and love to be pet! I bring mine to my kid's school all the time for kids to check out birds and they love all of the attention and will go to anyone on their finger. Once my hen laid an egg in the classroom. We brought it home and she hatched it. The teacher was so excited that she adopted the baby. What color and type are your new Doves? Mine are a White Silkie Ringneck female and a Pied Silkie Ringneck male. They are mother and son. I don't breed them anymore and have kept these two. Congrats on your newfound love!!

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I think they're just two white ringnecks, but gosh are they amazing. As for bathing them, are they big/sturdy enough to get a shower like the larger parrots, or what would be the best method?

4. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Doves are so sweet I love the song of the males! I would not out them in a shower just give them a tin our pan with water or mist them with water bottle
    I give all my birds water with organic apple cider vinger in it. Mix 2-3 tablespoons to one gallon water makes their feathers look so nice and good for their health

5. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Doves are awesome birds, rarely will they get snotty,
    I do have one hen on a nest right now thats a little slap happy lol, first time egg layer and very protective of her eggs.

I have Silky doves and Ring Necks, and breeding them together I get 1 Silky chick and 1 normal feathered chick.
    I will try today to get a picture of the Silkys, they are very pretty doves.
    They are a not true flyer and have trouble flying to roost, so low roosts are best for them.
    They fly just enough to get out of the path of danger.

6. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Gypsy...gotta see pics! Silky doves... [​IMG] You wouldn't happen to be selling any of these would you?? .....Maybe at the swap in Milford... [​IMG]

7. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    It is true Silkie Ringneck Doves can't fly. I think that is what makes them so tame since they can't fly away from you. That is good that you bred a normal smooth Ringneck Dove to a Silkie Ringneck Dove, gypsy2621. For those who don't know you can't breed a Silkie Ringneck to a Silkie Ringneck. It causes some awful things to their feathering and can make them look like a porcupine with just quills and no feathering at all.

When I quit breeding them I kept a Silkie mother and son. I don't feel bad at all throwing away the eggs then since they are related and both Silkies. I keep thinking about finding a home for the male though as he constantly is breeding her and she keeps laying eggs. I know it isn't good for her but he is so sweet I am not sure I can give him up unless I know he is going to a good forever home. Here is a pic of my two UrbanMama:

[​IMG]

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    WOW!! They are beautiful [​IMG] I really may need to get some of those. Time to start researching! [​IMG]

9. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    Quote:Well I totally agree that they are the sweetest little birds ive come across. I call mine "Peace doves" though they are white ringnecks.
    I love the silkies though, ive never seen them before.
    im more into white pigeons but i have my 2 ringnecks for pets, plus they work for me at weddings sometimes.
    Have fun and spoil them rotten, they will give you lots of enjoyment and quiet friendship.[​IMG]

10. gypsy2621

gypsy2621 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Yes as a matter of fact I have a beautiful roo that is coming for sale:

[​IMG]

and babys with the mother !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am selling the cock for$ 10.00 and babys when fledged for $10.00.
    I have been told not sure how true , but you can not breed silky to silky you have to breed to a straight feather in order to avoid the fatal gene. similar to the white foal syndrom. but I also have straight feathered doves.

I also have straight feather cocks and hens that I will be bringing for sale if interested.
    they are wonderfull pets, and will roost if they can jump up onto the branch.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by