Doves

I know more about pigeons, but I can be of some help.
What species of dove are they? Care may be a little different depending on the species.

Doves are typically seed eaters.Unlike most pet birds (parrots, finches, parakeets, etc.), doves do not husk the seeds before eating them. They swallow the seeds whole. This is a plus for dove keepers since their is no question about the amount of food in a dish where with other birds the seed cups quickly fill up with husks making it harder to determine the amount of seed.
The type of seeds eaten by doves largely depends on the species. While it is true that most doves will do quite well with an ordinary wild bird seed or canary mix from the garden or pet store, most breeders prefer to make their own combinations from various types of seeds. can be fed finch mix, cockatiel mix, wild bird seed, and semisoft dog food (such as Ken-L-Ration’s Moist and Beefy).

Doves are very sensitive to the elements. While some doves are quite hardy, it is still very important to offer them shelter from wind and moisture. Many doves will also require heat in the Winter months.

A large aviary is the ideal situation for keeping all doves. Doves are avid and swift flyers and need plenty of room for exercise.

Doves can live a long time if cared for right.In the wild, life-spans are short -3 to 5 years. In captivity doves can live to be 12 to 15 years old. It is not uncommon to hear of some doves living beyond 20 years

Thanks so much. Any info helps. These are ringneck doves. Someone turned them in to the local humane society and they called me because I have taken chickens from them before when they came in. They're not really set up for any type of birds. Anyway, I picked them up last week and have been feeding them a combo of cockatiel and parakeet food which they seem to like. Apparently the person who had them was using the parakeet food so they are used to it. I put a small basket in with them because they didn't have one. Put some grass in it for a nest. They promply turned it over, took out the grass and put it in one of their feeders and are trying to nest in it. I've been trying to read up on them and they seem happy - cooing and laughing. (I didn't even know they could laugh but that's exactally what it sounds like!) Again, thanks for the info.

I have several doves and I actually feed them layer pellets. At first that was the only thing I had, as I had gotten them when a friend needed to get rid of them quickly and I was planning to switch them over to seed. However, they ate the pellets like they had been on them all along! They are fat and healthy and some are quite a few years old now! I was actually talking to a dove/pigeon breeder at a show and he couldn't believe how nice they looked. He asked me what I fed and when I told him he wasn't surprised. He said he fed his layer pellets too. The nice thing about that, is they don't need grit to digest the layer feed like they do for seeds.

I keep mine in large rabbit hutches, which are essentially the same size as a parrot cage. I try to keep no more than 4 to a cage. They need enough room to fly around a little and to fully stretch their wings.

They love nest boxes, but mine have large plastic bowls that I fill with shavings. They love to sit on eggs in those. They are the perfect size for their bodies.

Other than that they are really easy to care for. They love taking baths and they like occasional treats and veggies. They breed like crazy too, so watch out! But it is fun to see them raise the babies! If you have any more questions let me know. They really are cool pets. Mine are pretty tame too.

Oh, also, mine never need heat in the winter. I keep them in my barn so they are out of the wind, but they really get in a lot of feathers. They adjust really well.

Back
Top Bottom