Doves ...

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by OSUman, Jan 23, 2010.

1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Hi I was offered some Doves and im not sure what i need to properly take care of them and what kind of coop/ loft/ aviary they would need any information would help.

Thanks

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    what sort of doves?

3. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    It would be a pair of white doves. thats all i know

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I was also offered a pair of white doves, the lady was getting rid of them bacause of health problems and she wanted to give them to me! I really want them, but I don't have ANY idea what to keep them in or what they eat or anything! I need a simple coop idea that can easily be built in a day! Any ideas?

5. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Here's something that could be put together pretty quickly if you only have a pair.
    [​IMG]
    It's just an outdoor rabbit hutch [​IMG] You could make it however long you want, and break it up into smaller sections if you plan on breeding the pair. I don't really like those doors, because nervous birds could fly out more easily. We just haven't gotten around to changing them [​IMG]

For a larger number of doves, a loft might be a little more ideal than a bunch of cages everywhere. It's basically the same thing as a chicken coop, except preferably with an aviary.

6. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    This is a Rabbit/Chicken hutch, could I put the doves in there at night and then put them in my chicken coop and let them fly around in there?
    [​IMG]

7. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    You could try keeping them with the chickens. My friend has a rescue White Dove and he gets along fine with his chickens.

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Well that's not my chicken pen! My chicken pen is HUGE! It has a roof and everything, but I think they might could get out of the wire! The wire is not chicken wire! It's hog panels and some other wire! I have 86 chickens in there. I would just put the doves in there to let them get some exercise! Then out them in the Chicken/rabbit hutch at night!

9. crittergal

crittergal Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2008
    Ohio
    I raised collared doves, and I kept them in bird cages. I only had one pair, they had the biggest cage, and the babies once they were weaned I put them in separate cages.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by