1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

doves

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by hollyberryix, Feb 18, 2012.

1. hollyberryix

hollyberryix New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    [​IMG]

My dove Smurffy​

Ringneck doves​

The Ringneck Dove is easily the most commonly kept dove in captivity. This domesticated bird (Streptopelia risoria) descends from the African Ring Dove (Streptopelia roseogrisea). This bird is about 12" from tail to head. The original wild coloring is quite beautiful as are the over Forty aknowledged color mutations/combinations http://www.dovepage.com/species/domestic/Ringneck/ringneckcolorlist.html. The Wild colored bird has brown and grey feathers on the back and wings with a rich rose colored head and breast and a black neck ring.
    Other Names:
    Collared Dove, Barbary Dove, Domestic Ringed Dove
    Subspecies:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]None[/FONT]
    Natural Habitat:
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Only in captivity.[/FONT]
    Status in Wild: This species is kept only in captivity but is thought to descend from the African Ring Dove.

IN CAPTIVITY
    Housing: Ringnecks can be kept and bred in cages as small as 2 feet square. Males tend to be quarrelsome with other males so it is best to keep them in single pairs.
    Temperatures: Ringnecks are a hardy bird. If slowly acclimated and protected from the elements, they can take below freezing for a moderate period of time.
    Feeding: Ringneck doves do well on a diet of various grains and seeds including millet, milo, wheat, black sunflower, canary grass, safflower and cracked corn. A quality wild bird seed mix is excellent, or commercial dove mixes may be purchased from many local feed stores. As with all seed-eating doves a quailty, high-calcium grit should be offered as well.
    Breeding: http://www.dovepage.com/species/domestic/Ringneck/ringneckbreeding.html
    Numbers: Ringnecks are surely the most commonly kept dove in the world. Estimating a number would be impossible and would likely be in the hundreds of thousands worldwide.
    Hope you have enjoyed the facts about Ringneck Doves source link
    http://www.dovepage.com/species/domestic/Ringneck/ringneckdove.html

2. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Smurfy is beautiful.
    Aren't ringnecks so friendly and sweet?
    Meet my DIL's "Rosy"...she is quite brown on her back and more rose coloured on her breast (hence the name) [​IMG]
    She is not as massive as she looks....sitting on toddler sized boots!
    [​IMG]

3. hollyberryix

hollyberryix New Egg

Feb 16, 2012
    SHE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :)

4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    I have a friend who wants a pair of doves. Can you tell me what size cage they would need? Are the harder than parakets to take care of?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by