1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Down feathers?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by rdilbarova, Nov 15, 2013.

1. rdilbarova

rdilbarova Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Huntingdon Valley, Pa
    Just watched an awful PETA video on how down is collected- I do not own anything that is down at the moment, nor will I in the near future after that.

Anyway, I was wondering if it is possible to collect down in a humane way that does not involve ripping it out of the flesh of a goose? I feel like the answer to this is no, since waiting for it to fall out by itself will just mean it will get pooped up, right? I just have to ask though.
    And I do not mean to ask this in an industrial, 'let's reorganize our down production' sense. Just me collecting some feathers for a comforter or something.

And this is a 'just wondering' question- I have 10 chickens right now and do not plan to get geese for a while.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You may find your answer here, I haven't read this just remembered someone posting about this..

3. rdilbarova

rdilbarova Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2013
    Huntingdon Valley, Pa
    That actually did help a lot, thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by