Down Momma (hen)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenrun09, Oct 24, 2013.

1. chickenrun09

chickenrun09 New Egg

Oct 24, 2013
    Well my one hen, we call her momma, was laying on the damp cold floor of the coop and not moving but still alive. Thismorning about 7:30am I went out to feed and open the door to coop. All my hens are on the opposite side of the coop away from there nests and the 4 guineas are on top of the nests. I picked her up and she kicked a little. I put her in her nest and the low strangth heat lamp pointed tword her. The floor was damp and it was below freezing lastnight. Could it be that she just got cold from laying on the wet cold floor?????

I live in Sault, Michigan and we have snow on the ground and its been getting below freezing the last few weeks or so.
    I am also thinking about putting the guineas in there own coop cause they take after the chickens as soon as they get in the coop.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Bring her inside,warm her up and monitor her for any other issues. All your hens on opposite side of coop,tells me they are scared of the guineas,is it possible one of your guineas went after her? Check her over very carefully for any injuries,under wings,vent area,lift up feathers to look for wounds. I would put the guineas in their own coop if they are terrorising you other hens.

3. chickenrun09

chickenrun09 New Egg

Oct 24, 2013
    Thank you!! I will check her out and we are gonna work on moving the guineas out of that coop and into there own.

4. chickenrun09

chickenrun09 New Egg

Oct 24, 2013
    My momma hen didnt make it. :>( But we are working on today getting the Guineas into there own coop and away from the laying hens. I checked all my other hens and they seem to be doing great!! I cleaned out the coop and put Pine shavings on the floor and then I am gonna put straw down to keep the moisture down and keep it a little warmer in there for the winter!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by