down side to electric fence?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by carolinasculpture, May 23, 2011.

1. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I am just wondering...I see so may predator issues and so many suggestions for electric fences. So it would seem that an electric fence would be a logical conclusion to most ground based predator problems. My question is thisWhat is the down side to electric fences? I was thinking if they were the answer, we would all have one?! Right now it seems to be the way for me to go, but I am wondering what I am missing. THANKS!

2. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    There has been absolutely no downside for predator control with electric fence for me.

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I have an electric fence around the entire perimeter of my coop and run. The only down sides are:
    1. It is an extra expense. 2. You need to connect close the elctric gate and plug it in at night and do the opposite in the morning. I do not leave my fence on 24 hours a day but only during the night. 3. The occasions when you happen to brush against the fence and wet your pants from the shock. Other then that, there are no down sides because they are truly and effective way to deter almost all predators, including bears.

4. mjuenem

mjuenem Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Putnam Co.
    Only downside is touching one! Make sure you have it clearly marked with those plastic signs that hang on the wire. I ran my wires near the top above a childs reach. I think one of the reasons they aren't more popular is that people shy away from electricity. They really are very simple to setup and come with instructions how to do so.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I haven't run into any downsides yet. I love my electric fences. I am pretty sure I wouldn't have poultry without them due to predation. I live in a wildlife corridor, so I have all manner of animals wandering through my yard.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Be very careful if "marking" around the pen. [​IMG]

7. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    You can't figure that an electric fence is a maint free sure thing.

Always trimming grass away from it, always accidentally touching it, broken wires, extreme dry ground all kinds of things can cause issues.

8. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Touching one is not fun. Also, if your power is off, it does not work. However, some run on solar. The biggest reason for us was cost. For a small enclosure, it is
    too expensive. We went with the 2 by 4 wire and metal posts.

9. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Spoken by another true believer [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Been there and done that....ONCE!

10. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I agree about the initial expense but a 12V battery system and a solar charger works well for us, especially at remote sites that don't have power, ie a large portion of AK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by