Down to 1 chicken

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fin4, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Fin4

Fin4 New Egg

Sep 26, 2010
    Well, I am down to 1 chicken from 4, thanks to some hawks, and I don't know what to do now.
    Should I run out and get more or wait until Spring. I have the coop and the run big enough for 4. We will fortify the run from future attacks.
    It is supposed to be a rough winter in the Pacific Northwest and I have already been worrying about keeping the girls warm.
    But now she doesn't have anyone to roost with. Ugh.... I've only had chickens since the summer so I am hoping some veterans on this site can give me some guidance.
    Thanks

2. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Put a light in the coop for.heat and start early spring I say. This late in the year may be a pIn in the but for chicks.

3. pontoosuc

pontoosuc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Richmond, MA
    and as hard as it might be, maybe consider gifting her to a friend to add to their flock and start over again in the spring.

sorry for your losses. [​IMG]

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Quote:I agree. One chicken is not a happy chicken. Im sorry.

5. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm sorry for your losses, that's really too bad. [​IMG] Chickens should not be kept alone, though--can you get another adult chicken for her to hang out with during the winter? If not, you should consider finding her a home where she can be with other chickens.

6. jollygreenegger1

jollygreenegger1 New Egg

Nov 16, 2009
    Western WA
    Fin4
    We lost a bird a month ago and are down to 5. If you are in the Tacoma/Olympia area I we would be willing to take her. Our chickens were February birds.

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    beg borrow or steal a couple more hens from someone. One hen is a no go, imho. Or let her go and start over.

They are a flock bird.

8. Fin4

Fin4 New Egg

Sep 26, 2010
    Thank you all very much for your help. You have said what I expected. I didn't think it would be good for her to be alone. I'd rather try to find another one then give her away, but I do have a home for her to go to if need be. Thanks again.

9. 3littleredhens

3littleredhens New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    definitely one hen is not a happy hen, but try Craig's list. Here in the Northeast anyway, many are scaling back their summer flocks for the winter & you might make a nice find.

10. firsthouse_mp

firsthouse_mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    NorthernCal
    Poor sweet hen! We lost one of our BR to a hawk a while back and now we only let our hens out when our dog is out too. She seems to keep the hawks away. I would bet there's someone who is in some similar situation and might need to let theirs go too. Craig'sList or a local small farm?

I also think it's an ideal time to get chicks! By the time the nice weather rolls around, you will have a laying flock [​IMG]
    Meyer had some Buffs that are due to hatch on the 15th.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by