Down to 2 chickens...will they get cold?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by N. Virginia, Sep 21, 2011.

1. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Songster

Oct 15, 2010
    Hi Folks:
    I'm down to 2 chickens in their new coop. Don't have the electric fence hooked up yet, so will lock them up at night. Do you think I should get more? Isolate the new ones with a double fence in the dog house? If I get new chickens I'll look for some grown up ones as it's getting late in the season for chicks.

I have a 6X8 standard chicken house from Southern States, the kind with the laying boxes exterior to the main section.

Or, I could put a little tent up inside the coop for them to huddle in. Don't have electricity for a lamp or heater.

Let me know your opinions!
    Cheers,
    N. Virginia

2. smokinjay

smokinjay In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2011
    I think the mini coop inside the coop should do fine. Even point the door to the south east where the wind really never comes from. If its does it not a cold wind.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  3. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Of course we're all gonna think you need to get more! I know how cold it gets up there, so I would think a few more would be better, but if you have them double insulated (a tent, cardboard box, etc) inside the coop with extra shavings, hay or whatever, I would think they should be ok. It might also help to know what kind of chickens you have to be able to acurately determine their hardiness for the Virginia winters.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Free Ranging

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you're not in the northern tier of states, they won't be cold if kept out of direct wind.
    I do think you need more though.
    Chickens are social animals(need friends) and chickens die.
    If one should die the other will be lonely.

5. N. Virginia

N. Virginia Songster

Oct 15, 2010
    Thanks Tiger Lilly, Canoe, and SmokinJay. I think I'll get some more. Have Auracanas and someone is selling EE pullets, so they should all match. Will put them in a separate run where they can see eachother; 3 more, henhouse is 6X8', so they'll have room but keep warm. I put the house up on cinderblocks so they'll be able to go underneath and get out of the snow = of I build a little roof over they ramp - ha ha - it's only taken a year to get the hen house up and I still need to finish the electric fencing!

Thanks again for your responses. Will post pics when I can figure that part out!
    Cheers,
    N. VA.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by