1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Down to one rooster this morning, need advice

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rooster Don, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Rooster Don

Rooster Don Out Of The Brooder

I have 21 hens, and had 3 roosters till this morning. I saw two roos all bloody and they were fighting it out to the death. First sign of aggressive behavior which was very shocking. I have had to cull roosters that went mean in the past, but these guys were going all the way. So I took care of them and now have one rooster, who was my #1 anyway, a real stud and great protector.

So what happens when you have 1 rooster for 21 hens? Is this bad for the rooster? I know for fertilizing eggs you need 1 rooster per 8-10 hens, but I never knew if not following those numbers caused problems of any kind. I don't want to do the rooster thing again unless for some reason having only one now is bad for him. I am assuming the hens are fine no matter what, sense a rooster is not even required for people who have only hens.

Thank you.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I don't think that many hens for one rooster is a concern at all - unless you are trying to guarantee that all eggs get fertilized. I think he will be a happy camper now that he has his harem to himself.

3. Rooster Don

Rooster Don Out Of The Brooder

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. I think the ladies will be happier too.

4. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    It's just fine.It's better for the hens,and him.

My rooster at one point was with only 22 hens with just himself,now he has a partner.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Folks love to quote that "1 rooster per 8-10 hens" like it's a magical, set in stone ratio. It's not.

It's simply the most effective ratio for a breeding pen. It ensures the best fertility of all the hens, while ensuing enough hens to spread the rooster's attention a bit. For large breeding operations, it's the optimal ratio. For backyard flocks, any number of different arrangements work well.

I've often run one rooster with my main layer flock, up to 2 dozen hens. I have wonderful fertility if the rooster is 4 years or under. After that, fertility does seem to decline, especially with more hens and depending on time of year.

Your rooster is not going to over stress himself trying to mate all the hens. If anything, you'll have the happiest, most content rooster around [​IMG]

And if you're waning to hatch chicks, you should still have good fertility. One mating can ensure fertility for a good 2 weeks.

2 people like this.
  6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I think what is meant is hens seem happier when there are 8-10 of them per rooster. Usually I like a rooster and a back-up rooster (With all the roosters around, just the time you need one seems to be the time you can't find one.) but last spring found myself with only one rooster and 24 hens and I had 100% fertility and hatchability in the eggs I incubated.
    It may all depend on your rooster's breed and age, but I wouldn't worry about your numbers unless you're trying to hatch eggs and having problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by