down to two eggs!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Oct 21, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i started with 6, 1 was infertile, 5 were healthy and growing, soon after 1 of them died, and a few days ago when i candled them i thought another 2 had died so decided to leave them a few days to see what would happen, anyway i checked this morning and two i thought were dead are dead and im left with just 2 eggs! if none of these two hatch il go crazy! [​IMG]

2. eggybritches

eggybritches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    How do you know they are dead?

During incubation a lot of my ducks just chilled out and didn't move at all for a few days.

3. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:i think they are dead because they match the description of a dead embryo given in storeys guide to raising ducks, plus the two that died were giving me problems anyway, one just would not sit right in the incubator and the other had a crack so i sort of expected those two to die anyway

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  4. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    i so hope the other two hatch ok! id be happy if just one hatched though because then i could just incubate more and somebody on here told me that ducks that hatch alone are more tame

5. eggybritches

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    I've always heard that ducks need a partner.

I got rid of 3/5 of my babies the other day and the two remaining cried for them all night long last night.

6. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:yeah i know thats what i mean, if only one hatches then i will need to put another batch of fertile eggs in to hatch one more so the duck has a friend lol

7. eggybritches

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    The duck will be a month old by the time the others hatch. That's the first month of his life living alone. That's not fair.

8. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Dont count your ducks before they hatch. [​IMG] They both might hatch, or none might hatch. You never know. Try not to get ahead of yourself.

9. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Quote:Well there's really nothing that can be done. 688peterl was trying to have at least two, knowing that they would need a ducky friend. Sometimes it just works out that way.

It may be possible for you to find a cheap duckling on craigslist as friend for your one hatch. If not, I know others around here have had single hatchlings and will be able to give you some great advice on how to make your little guy as happy as can be while you try to hatch out another.

I'm rooting for your last egg!

10. eggybritches

Sep 12, 2009
    Central Florida
    She still has two! I was just rambling.

Hopefully they'll both make it. [​IMG]

Don't give up hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by